Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP REJECTS IMMIGRATION DEAL IN VULGAR TERMS
The president questions why the U.S. would accept more immigrants from Haiti and “shithole countries” in Africa rather than places like Norway.
2. AFRICA AWAKES TO PROFANE TRUMP COMMENTS
While many African governments hesitated at criticism, media outlets and the continent’s young, increasingly connected population were not being shy.
3. CALIFORNIA MUDSLIDES TAKE LIVES OF ELDERLY, YOUNG
The oldest victim was Jim Mitchell, who had celebrated his 89th birthday the day before and died with his wife of more than 50 years, Alice. The youngest, 3-year-old Kailly Benitez, was one of four children killed.
4. TRUMP POISED FOR FIRST MEDICAL CHECK-UP AS PRESIDENT
The exam is taking on outsized importance given the tone of some of his tweets, comments attributed to some of his close advisers and Trump’s recent slurring of words on national TV.
5. MIXED BAG FOR WALMART EMPLOYEES
Walmart boosted its starting salary for U.S. workers and handed out bonuses. But the company is also closing dozens of Sam’s Club stores — a move that could cost thousands of jobs.
6. ‘ME TOO’ MOVEMENT PRESENTS DIFFERENT CHALLENGE FOR BILL COSBY
The entertainer faces a retrial in less than 90 days in a vastly different cultural climate, one in which powerful men are being toppled by allegations of sexual misconduct.
7. MAN WHO AIDED HOSPITAL PATIENT DISCHARGED IN GOWN SHOCKED
Imamu Baraka tells the AP he recorded the events on his cellphone, fearing no one would b
Please read disclaimer page.